Nicholas C. Erickson is an associate with Compton & Duling, L.C. in the domestic relations practice, having joined the firm in September 2019. His prior litigation experience includes commercial litigation, business torts and contract claims, community association disputes, landlord tenant, debt collection, bankruptcy and creditor’s rights, estate/probate, and employment litigation, which makes him a strong advocate for the broad issues raised in family law cases.
Nicholas transitioned to domestic relations after representing clients in a wide range of matters in the courts of Virginia and the District of Columbia. Currently, he represents clients in a broad range of family law dispute, including divorce, custody, support, protective orders, and enforcement actions in the Circuit Court and Juvenile and Domestic Relations Courts.
During his first year in practice, Nicholas served as a Law Clerk for the judges of the Circuit Court of Arlington County and upon completing his clerkship, joined Capsalis, Bruce, Reaser & Caulkins, PLC, which later became Caulkins & Bruce, PC, in Arlington, Virginia, where he practiced for over ten years.
While in law school, Nicholas worked for a Washington, D.C. law firm, where he advised clients on mortgage lending compliance and trends in regulation in the financial industry. His law school career also involved a clerkship for an Administrative Law Judge with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, where he reviewed discrimination complaints by federal employees.
Nicholas is a member of Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society, Golden Key Honor Society, Phi Eta Sigma Honor Society, and National Society of Collegiate Scholars. In April 1997, Nicholas attained the rank of Eagle Scout with the Boy Scouts of America.
PROFESSIONAL AND CIVIC ASSOCIATIONS
- Virginia State Bar
- Prince William County Bar Association
- Fairfax County Bar Assocation
- Arlington County Bar Association, Treasurer (2018-2019), Director (2016-2018)
- Arlington County Bar Association, Young Lawyers Section, Treasurer (2015-17), President-Elect (2017-2018), President (2018-19), Immediate Past President (2019-Present)
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- The Florida Bar
- Equitable Distribution of Property
- Child Custody and Visitation
- Child and Spousal Support
- Prenuptial and Marital Agreements
- Property Settlement Agreements
- Protective Orders
- Post Divorce Enforcement of Final Decrees
- Conservatorship for Incapacitated Adults
- Guardianship of a Minor’s Estate
- Other Domestic Relations & Family Law matters
- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., cum laude, 2006
- Georgetown Criminal Justice Clinic;
- News Editor (2004), Managing Editor (2005), and Editor Emeritus (2006) for the Georgetown Law Weekly, recipient of the ABA Award for Best Law School Newspaper in 2004.
- Articles Editor (2005-2006) for the Georgetown Journal of Gender and the Law and published “Hate Crimes,” Georgetown Journal of Gender and the Law, Annual Review of the Law, Volume VI Number III Annual Review, 289-314 (Spring 2005)
- University of Florida (Gainesville, FL), Highest Honors, 2002
- Virginia Bar
- District of Columbia Bar
- United States District Court, Eastern District of Virginia
- Florida Bar